A pleasant sunny day with above average temperatues for this part of the world at this time of year seemed like an excellent opportunity to visit this confluence. Based upon the maps I had, I estimated that it would involve about .75 miles of hiking from the nearest road over pretty flat land.

After about an hour of driving out of Pullman, I found myself nearing the place where I would park and begin my hike. The area is located in some scablands created by the Missoula Floods which swept through this region from Northern Idaho and Montana creating landforms which are largely unique to this region.

The confluence point lies in Public Lands which appear to be used for grazing cattle, though there were no cows to be seen on this day. I hopped the fence which ran along side the road and followed another fence which ran pretty much north-south. The actual confluence point ended up being a little to the east of the fence.

I took a picture of the gps reading the 47N 118W and then found a rock to relax on in the warm sun. As I was laying there I realized that it was the first time I had heard silence in a quite a while. Except for an occasional call from a bird or rustle of grass in the wind, there was no sound out here. It was nice to hear such quiet again.

After I had finished napping on the rock, I decided it was time to take some pictures and that was when I realized that in wandering around earlier trying to get the gps to read exactly 47N 118W, I had set my tripod down and left it. I was not sure how easy it would be to find it in the open expanses of grass and rocks. Fortunately, upon retracing my steps, I found it (presumably just where I had left it) lying on a rock.

After walking back to the pickup, I continued along the road I had arrived on rather than turning back the way I came. My intention was to hook back up with a road which would take me to Winona and then continue on back through Endicott as well. When I go to the road which would have taken me to Winona it was blocked because of a bridge being out, so I had to take a detour through west through Benge. Benge is a fairly small town, though it actually had a school. Someone who lives in Benge seemed to be pretty into boating as well since there were a number of boats in the yard and a fairly good sized one (like I am more used to seeing back home) was for sale. The detour continued on a dirt which went back east out of Benge. Upon reaching the main road again, I though I would be heading towards Winona, but it turned out that I was on a paved road carved into the wheatfields which connected back with Highway 26. (This was actually the road I had intended to take on the way instead of going through LaCrosse and Winona as I did when I turned off the Highway on the wrong road.)

Home | Journal Index | Winter/Spring 2000